Skip Navigation
search icon Open Search Field

State Authorization, Accreditation, and Program Licensure

About State Authorization

State Authorization is a legal issue dealing with a college’s adherence to state requirements for colleges to secure authorization to offer instruction in that state. Compliance with individual state requirements is now part of the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008, Amended 2010. HEOA 600.9 (c).

If an institution is offering postsecondary education through distance or correspondence education to students in a state in which it is not physically located or in which it is otherwise subject to State jurisdiction as determined by the State, the institution must meet any State requirements for it to be legally offering postsecondary distance or correspondence education in that State. An institution must be able to document to the Secretary [of Education] the State’s approval upon request. (Authority: 20 U.S.C. 1001 and 1002)

Program Licensure

Eligibility for licensure and/or certification may involve more than successful degree completion. The academic programs at Shaw University prepare students to sit for applicable licensure and/or certification in North Carolina.  

In order to comply with U.S. Department of Education regulations regarding distance education and professional licensure, note the following program licensure statement with respect to professional licensure and/or certification outside the state of North Carolina:
Shaw University cannot confirm whether a particular program meets requirements for professional licensure and/or certification outside of the State of North Carolina. Students are advised to contact applicable licensure board(s) in any state in which they want to pursue licensure and/or certification prior to beginning the academic program in order to determine whether the program meets licensure and/or certification requirements.

Division Contact or email the Office of Academic Affairs at

  • Division of Business & Professional Studies - (919) 719-8873
  • Division of Communications and Humanities - (919) 719-8876
  • Division of Education, Social Work and Child Development - (919) 719-1995
  • Division of Health and Human Sciences - (919) 719-1995
  • Division of Science and Technology - (919) 546-8339
  • Division of Social Sciences, Religious Studies and the Arts - (919) 719-8883
  • School of Divinity - (919) 546-8569
Student Complaint Process